Saturday, December 10, 2016

I'm recording video games again.

Everyone and their mother is doing it, so I might as well rejoin the YouTube gaming community.

I'm preparing to do a for-fun race through Super Mario Bros. 3 against a friend, and I figured it might be neat to record the practice runs, as a test for recording the real thing (which we absolutely want to do). It's been a great learning experience so far, broadening my video production horizons and improving my skillset. Yesterday I bought a big strip of green fabric, so I can even utilize chroma key filters to add a face overlay, giving my recordings some extra polish.

Another game I've started recording is Donkey Kong Country 2, inspired after playing a Two-Player Contest run with a friend for a couple of hours. He'd never played 2 before that, so this doubles as a chance for him to look ahead at the levels from someone he knows.

The runs are here,and I'll be uploading one video daily (when I have a bunch ready) or ASAP after they're recorded (during a dry spell). I'll list the games I have in progress here and update this list as I go.


  • Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) (Run completed!)
  • Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES) (Run completed!)

Games I'm considering running:

  • Doom (PS1)
  • Frogger (PS1)
  • Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (GB)
  • Bastion (Steam)
  • Dust: An Elysian Tail (Steam)
  • Space Grunts (Android)
  • PinOut (Android, hardware permitting)

Also, if you're new to recording video games, it's not particularly hard as long as you have some recent hardware, and it's possible to pay exactly nothing for the software.
For recording, I use OBS, which is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux but is currently buggy on Windows. I'm using Debian testing as my OS. Since I'm using emulators for the games, the only extra hardware I need is a webcam (which has a passable microphone) for video of me, and the green cloth to "green screen" that video feed.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the videos!

No comments:

Post a Comment